Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sugarcane Restaurant: Not entirely what I was expecting.

The Sugarcane restaurant located on 106 Main St., Peabody, MA (Downtown) was not entirely what I thought it was going to be. Hearing the name Sugarcane I instantly assumed that I would be blogging about a bakery or maybe even a Mexican themed restaurant. Perhaps maybe even a mix of my two thoughts and have it turn out to be a Mexican bakery, this was not the case.

Sugarcane restaurant is actually a Gourmet Chinese & Vietnamese Cuisine. A restaurant that has dine-in, take out, full bar and catering, and delivers to the Peabody and Salem area. Having been fooled by my own hypothesis on what the restaurant was, I proceeded to enter and to ask to speak to the Sugarcane owner.

My first personal experience in the restaurant was quite pleasing. For starters I instantly noticed how clean the restaurant was. Its style and furniture was modernized, unlike most Chinese restaurants I have been in, which try to go old traditional Chinese/Vietnamese culture. It's bar, though not entirely large, was very clean, and modernized, and looked like bars you would see in movies (at the very least I think so). Sadly, I had arrived during the middle of the day and was unable to see the bar fully in action.

The Sugarcane staff was very kind to my girlfriend and I. The hostess kindly greeted us, but seemed to get quite nervous when I instantly asked to speak to the owner. Having waited only moments, Kevin Lin, the Sugarcane owner greeted me kindly and asked if anything was wrong. Having explained myself, that I was a Salem State Communications student and I was interested in blogging about his restaurant, he started to laugh, a lot. Thinking his laughing would result in a "no" actually turned into "Wow, I have never had anyone ask me that before, sure you can! Blog away!"

Looking at Sugarcane's menu, I am actually excited for my next visit back. A lot of the food on the menu is relatively cheaper than most Chinese restaurants I have been to in the past. I have high hopes that the restaurants food matches it's impressive inside appearance. I also hope to find out why Boston Globe quoted "...We decided we happily return to Sugarcane for the Taste and for our Health." (Jan. 2008)


Sugarcane's website along with its menu can be accessed here: http://www.sugarcanepeabody.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment